“Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, ‘Where have I gone wrong?’ Then a voice says to me, ‘This is going to take more than one night.” – Charlie Brown
Over the years organization have build silo’s in terms of departments and application, you name it applications based on .Net, Cobol, C++ and all verities of architecture and applications .
We need to have common interface, where discrete applications and modules can interact.
Service-oriented architecture (SOA) can help organizations boost business performance while reducing IT costs and enhancing the flexibility of business processes.
- SOA is software design methodology
- It is collection of discrete software modules (services)
- These service provide the complex functionally
- Services can be re-usable, like old style OOPS API’s
- Service interface is the key and which is independent of the implementation
In following diagram client and service publishes their interface. Consumer will find particular service and communication between client and service starts
- Service Provider : Who develops and supplies services
- Service Consumer: Who uses the service
- Service broker : Facilitates advertising and discovery process
3-tier Architecture vs SOA
Conventional Approach vs SOA approach
SOA is creating services required for organization in re-usable manner. Following is from Hitachi web site.
Web Services is one of SOA implementation
This is as such a big topic, will write more blogs in future
This is my first SOA article. Will plan to publish more articles on the same.