Machine to machine (M2M) refers to technologies that allow both wireless and wired systems to communicate with other devices of the same ability.
- M2M uses a device (such as a sensor or meter) to capture an event (such as temperature, inventory level, etc.)
- Data captured via sensors is relayed through a network (wireless, wired or hybrid) to an application (software program),
- Data captured in software program ( translates the captured event into) provides meaningful information
What in a name?
- Machine-to-Man (meaning communication between a human operated device and a machine)
- Machine-to-Mobile and Mobile-toMachine
- communication refers to communication between