Typical issues in build systems
1. The time to build is more than few hours (may be clean-build)
2. Too many branches and lot of dependent code
3. When developer check-in (one month quota) at time or before final release.
4. When no-one can figure-out why the Version 23 is better than Version 25.
5. You can not build the system (at all)
|Typical Development system|
|Build system in cruise control or something|
|Typical development system|
In Agile world there are many parallel releases and many parallel activities, which performed day-in, day-out.
1. Each Delivery can have one Delivery manager (handling certain) user stories or requirements.
2. Release manager, who tracks the various states, and who is in direct contact with “stake-holders” or all other teams.
3.By the way above team will be reporting a program management team.
4. 1, 2, 3 : are outside actual team, who is working on the integration, developmen
With predifined end date for clousre, and more of vertical with managing people and deliveries. Projects are unique and have tripple constraints(scope, budget and time)
1.Programmes and projects are very different kind. Programs are collections of related projects. Program managers manage “project managers”
2. Program Manager has to manage “stakeholders” across the board. Program manager goes upwards and sideways too. Where as project manager goes in vertically downwards. Program manager have wide responsibility unlike “project managers”
3.A Program Manager simply manages teams from all different parts of the business to ensure a successful product.
4.PMI’s latest definition of a programme/program is:
A program is a group of related projects managed in a coordinated way to obtain benefits and control not available from managing them individually. Programs may include elements of related work outside the scope of the discrete projects in a program.
5.programme is a special kind of portfolio, since the projects are related by their focus on the common goal.
6. program managers manage the dependencies between projects, but not the projects themselves.
If the project under program mangemnet are not related, they are collections various such projects to make a portfolio. This may be organization specific
. Or may be particular Business Unit collection.
In prodcut firms, the slightly differnt definition for program manager is Product Manager. Product manager defines final destion and interim gols. Program Mager defines detailed path to get there.
Project Manager will navigate and control one particular stage of the journey.
Want to keep this article too short and sweet 🙂
If you are running/going through follwoing issues in project, then it shows you are not mastered/executed proper project/release plan
1. Bug x, is fixed version 22.0 still happens in 24, 27
2. When you complie code on John’s machine only code will work
3. We have no idea, what went in version 1 and version 33
4. These bug was never fixed in any version?
5. Rama is is using version one of project plan, thomas is using version 22 of the plan
6. Client is expecting nuclear rector, developer’s are building a coffes shop
7. This code always work in Japan but not at client’s place
8. Code breaks if you add the module-2
Refer follwoing to undertand more details of “configuration management”